Ghoulish Shortbread Fingers with Kirsten Tibballs
- 150g unsalted butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 50g whole eggs
- 260g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 150mL Bulla Thickened Cream
- 225g good quality milk chocolate
- 30g strawberry jam
- 2 drops red food colouring
- 18 flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Beat the butter into a thick, smooth paste with an electric beater or in a food processor. When smooth add the icing sugar and the eggs and combine. Add the flour, baking powder and finally the salt and mix until it comes together as a dough.
- Press the dough into a neat flat square, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Roll the dough on a bench lightly dusted with flour and cut finger shapes 7cm x 1.5cm. Place the biscuits onto a lined tray and make impressions for the knuckles with a small knife and press a flat butter knife on the tip where the finger nail will go.
- Bake for approximately 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool the biscuits on the tray and store in an airtight container until you are ready to assemble.
- For the ganache, boil the Bulla Thickened Cream in a saucepan. Pour it over the milk chocolate which has been placed in a bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the ganache and allow to sit at room temperature for approximately 2 hours.
- To assemble, place the ganache into a piping bag with a round piping tip or into a zip lock bag and cut the corner off. Turn over every second biscuit and pipe ganache onto the base. Sandwich it together with a second biscuit.
- Add the red colouring to the jam and mix it through. Spoon a small amount on the top finger where the nail goes and place an almond (pointy end out) on top. Only assemble the biscuits the same day they are eaten.