Kirsten Tibballs’ Mother’s Day Meringue
- 45g cornflour
- 200g icing sugar
- 165g egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 260g caster sugar
- dusting of cocoa powder
- 600mL Bulla Thickened Cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 punnets of berries
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 115°C (95°C fan-forced).
- Sift cornflour and icing sugar together.
- Using a mixer, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar.
- Once the egg whites reach a medium to firm peak, gradually add in the caster sugar and continue whisking to enable the sugar to dissolve.
- Remove bowl from the mixer and fold through the sieved dry ingredients.
- On baking paper, mark out 3 x 18cm discs; divide the mixture in three equal portions and place onto the prepared templates (use the back of a spoon to spread the meringue out).
- Dust the meringue discs lightly with cocoa powder, then place in the oven for approximately 70 minutes, or until the meringue is crunchy (depending on your oven the discs may require an additional 10 minutes).
- Whip the Bulla Thickened Cream with the sugar and vanilla paste to a medium to firm consistency.
- Place one of the meringue discs onto your serving plate and layer it with one third of the cream.
- Scatter berries on top and cover with another meringue disc.
- Add another third of cream, a few berries and another meringue disc.
- Place the remaining cream on top in the centre and finish with berries, a light dusting of cocoa powder and icing sugar.