Salted Caramel Pavlova
- 1 store bought pavlova base
- 300mL Bulla Cooking Cream (at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 600mL Bulla Thickened Cream
- To make the caramel, combine 1 1/2 cups of caster sugar and 1/2 a cup of water in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Then turn the heat up to medium and cook without stirring for 8-10 minutes, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a damp pastry brush, until a golden caramel forms.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in some Bulla Cooking Cream. Be careful as the mixture will bubble, then seize. Return the pan to low heat, add salt to taste, and cook, stirring for another couple of minutes until smooth.
- Using a clean mixing bowl, whip the Bulla Thickened Cream until thick. Then spread cream over the pavlova base and drizzle salted caramel over the top.
- For caramel shards, stir the remaining 1/4 cup water and 1 cup of caster sugar in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. To dissolve any sugar left on the side of the pan, brush down with a wet pastry brush. Bring to boil.
- Cook until the mixture is a rich golden colour – don’t let it burn. Remove from heat (the residual heat continues to colour toffee).Drizzle over baking paper and leave to cool and harden.
- To serve, break into pieces and place on top of pavlova to finish.