Vanilla Ice Cream Log With Chocolate Cake Balls
- 2 x 250g store-bought iced chocolate madeira cake
- 2L Bulla Creamy Classics Ice Cream Vanilla
- 100g plain chocolate biscuits
- 40g butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g white chocolate
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- chocolate sprinkles, for decorating
- 100g dark chocolate
- In a medium bowl, and using your hands, break cake into small pieces. Knead cake until a dough like consistency forms.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Roll tablespoonfuls of cake mixture into balls and place on the prepared tray. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- Line a 20 x 11 x 7cm loaf pan with baking paper allowing a 5 cm overhang on all sides. Place 1/2 of the ice cream in a large bowl of electric mixer and beat on low speed for 1 minute or until softened. Spoon ice cream into prepared pan and press into pan with the back of a spoon, evenly place 6-8 cake balls on top of ice cream, pushing them half way into ice cream. Repeat with remaining ice cream and 6-8 more cake balls, once again pushing the cake balls into ice cream. Smooth surface with a flat knife, cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer.
- Process biscuits in a food processor until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs. With motor operating, gradually add butter until well combined. Spoon biscuit mixture over top of ice cream loaf (will become base once inverted), using the back of a spoon press crumbs into ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer overnight.
- Place the dark chocolate and white chocolate in separate microwave-safe bowls, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to each. Heat, in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth; do not overheat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Remove remaining cake balls from fridge and spear each ball with a toothpick. Pick up a cake ball by the toothpick and dip in the melted chocolate. Be sure to coat the entire ball. Then, lift the ball above chocolate and let excess chocolate drip off. Toss a few in chocolate sprinkles if you like. Place the dipped cake balls back onto baking paper lined tray. Repeat with remaining cake balls dipping half in dark chocolate and half in white chocolate until all are coated.
- Place dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly. Remove ice cream loaf from freezer and invert ice cream onto serving plate. Peel away paper pour chocolate over, decorate the top with a selection of dark and white chocolate dipped cake balls. Serve any additional chocolate cake balls with ice cream.